Wednesday, September 15, 2010

WHITE CHOCOLATE-RUM-COCONUT CREAM PIE

coconut cream pie
It’s been years since I’ve made a coconut cream pie, one of my family’s favorite desserts back in the day.   When I saw Birdseye  unsweetened coconut  in the freezer case of my grocery store recently, I thought I’d try my hand at a new creation.  Canned coconut milk, white chocolate and unsweetened coconut create a rich, yet light, delicious filling that’s made almost smooth after a whirl in the food processor.  Sweetened whip cream, toasted sweetened coconut and white chocolate curls top off this pie and really make it special.   I’ve revisited one of our old favorite desserts and brought it to new heights.  You can bet I’ll be making this again. 003
WHITE CHOCOLATE-RUM-COCONUT CREAM PIE
Source:  Judy’s Kitchen
Rating:  10 out of 10
PRINTABLE PAGE
INGREDIENTS:  13.66 oz. can lite coconut milk
1/4 cup coconut-flavored rum (or regular rum) 
16 oz. heavy whipping cream, divided use
1-1/2 cups frozen unsweetened coconut flakes
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 tsp. sea salt
1-1/2 Tbsp. cornstarch
3 Tbsp. flour
2 large egg yolks
1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
1 square (1 oz.) Bakers premium white chocolate
3/4 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 (9”) deep-dish pie crust, blind-baked and cooled  (I used Perfectly Flaky Pie Crust)

Topping:  Reserved heavy cream from 16 oz. container, divided use 
2 squares  (2 oz.) Bakers premium white chocolate, divided use
3 Tbsp. confectioner’s  sugar
1 tsp. coconut-flavored rum
1/2 tsp.vanilla
1 cup toasted sweetened coconut flakes

In 3- or 4-cup measuring cup, combine coconut milk, rum and enough heavy cream to equal 2-1/4 cups.  In work bowl of food processor, combine coconut,  sugar, salt, cornstarch and flour.  Add 1/2 cup of liquid.  Pulse till well combined and coconut is finely chopped.  Add egg yolks and pulse till combined.  Transfer coconut mixture to a 2-quart saucepan with remaining liquid.  Heat to boil over medium heat, whisking constantly.  Boil one minute.  Remove from heat.  Stir in butter, white chocolate and vanilla.  Cover with plastic wrap placed directly on surface; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.  Pour into cooled crust.  Cover and chill several hours or overnight, till set. 

While pie cools, prepare topping.  In small saucepan, heat 1/4 cup heavy cream till simmering.  Stir  in1 square white chocolate.  Remove from heat; stir chocolate till melted.  Stir in remaining cream; cover; chill till thoroughly cold.  Transfer chilled mixture to mixing bowl, or whip right in pot.  Add sugar, rum and vanilla and beat till stiff peaks form.  Spread over cooled pie.  Sprinkle toasted coconut over outer edges of pie.  Shave remaining 1 oz. of  chocolate over center.  Yield:  8 servings
001

4 comments:

Debbie said...

Judy this looks sooo good and I would love to try it since Coconut Cream pie is one of my favorites.

Roz | La Bella Vita Cucina said...

My father's favorite pie is coconut; i think i will surprise him with this recipe! it really sounds so good and thanks for sharing Judy!

Judi said...

I am new to your site Judy and am
so excited about all the recipes I
searched so far.....will have to
diet after each dish!

Judi

Judy said...

Judi, welcome and thanks for your comment. I hope you'll enjoy many of my recipes and let me know how they turn out.